Today we are going to learn about the Central Park Five in preparation to watch the film next week.
I. Please watch this video, which is a discussion about the film with all members of the Central Park Five.
In your Google Drive, answer:
- What new information did you get from this discussion?
- What questions do you have?
- If you were a member of the audience, please talk about your experience!!
II. Also, read this article, Growing Up Behind Bars, an interview with Yusuf Salaam.
Now answer these questions in your Google Drive:
- What did the media miss?
- Are the media to blame for what happened to these boys? Why or why not? Who else is to blame?
- Do you believe the city’s racial tensions played a part in the wrongful convictions? How?
- Both Jovon Ferguson’s story and the Yusef Salaam video describe the dehumanizing metaphoric language (“wolf pack,” “wild animals,” etc.) used by the press in reference to the Central Park Five teens. How can language help shape public opinion?
- Can you think of any other cases where the media escalated a problem by sensationalizing a story without doing a thorough investigation of the facts?
III. Post your answers to our blog as a comment. Then respond to 2-3 other students' posts.